Tuesday 11 August 2015

Cutlery holder from tin cans

The summer holidays are flying by. We have been very busy. Busy in a good way of course. This week my son turns 10! I can't believe how time has flown. I am so lucky to have a great kid. He is getting pretty spoiled this birthday! Well you only turn 10 once right? We are taking a bunch of his friends go karting then out to dinner. His best friend is staying over and then we are going to watch the Red Bull Air Race at Ascot. Should be a great weekend. Fingers crossed that the rain stays away.

The weather picked up this past weekend and we finally got the barbecue out! Last year I made a cutlery holder with some recycled tin cans. It was a quick project and pretty basic looking.



Whilst colourful, I felt it was missing something. I decided to make it over for this year.

I started by painting all 3 cans off white. To cover the original bold colours took about 3 coats.


They looked so much better just painted all the same colour. I wrote out 'Knives', 'Forks' and 'Spoons' in pencil, the carefully painted over the letters in red using a very fine brush.



I sprayed the paint work with clear sealer to protect it, then got about a metre of gingham ribbon which I glued to the top and bottom of each can to give them simple embellishment. 

I think the red and blue together is lovely and bright, perfect for the summer.


I also made a little bunting to complement them.

Long may the sun shine!






No comments:

Post a Comment