Tuesday 28 July 2015

Nail Polish Rack DIY


A couple of months back my friend introduced me to a warehouse housing all manner of vintage, recycled and new items called Molly's Den. Check out their website here. It is a giant treasure trove housing pretty much anything you can think of! It was very hard to choose what to buy! I did go with a purpose but that soon went out the window when I saw how much was there.

I just loved the metal key shaped key holder!

Pretty bottles and bowls.


This was one of my favourite things, so naturally it had to come home with me!


Here it is looking pretty on my shelves in my reading corner.

I also picked up a wooden seed tray to make a nail polish rack.

I liked the rough feel of the seed tray and the stamped sides. I did want to pretty it up though, so I began by giving it a clean and then painting each compartment.



I decided to leave the sides of the box as they were.



The wood soaked up the paint so 3 coats were necessary for complete coverage.



I then cut some squares of Decopatch paper for the inside of each compartment.


I used this bright pink and light teal paper which I had previously used on my jewellery box.


I measured the squares and cut the paper to fit.  I applied glue to the back of each compartment and fixed a piece of Decopatch paper to it.

You can see that I didn't bother with as many coats of paint for the back of each compartment as I planned to cover with the paper like so. The sides have a more solid look of colour.

I continued to do this for each compartment, and once dry I painted over each stuck piece with glue to seal it.



I had originally decided to leave the edges like this, unpainted. However, a little off white paint soon changed my mind!

All finished, now to fill it up with nail polish!


Admittedly you can't see much of the back but there is a little hint poking through. 




I took these photos before we made over the master bedroom. The plan is to affix hooks to the back of the rack so that it can hang on the wall. It's one of the many little jobs left to do to make the bedroom even prettier!

Hope you are enjoying the school holidays!












No comments:

Post a Comment