Friday 17 April 2015

Kid's Birthday Party Ideas - Part two - Lego!

The weather has just got better and better this week. Yesterday was unseasonally warm, so out came a summer maxi! Sadly it's not meant to last but it was nice to glimpse a bit of summer.

The day we had the Lego party, it was very very hot. The whole party was held outside in the garden where the kids could play the few games I had set up, eat lunch and just have fun.

I scoured the internet very early on for ideas and found a ton of great ideas! I have to say I pretty much copied them and each original link is shared in the post below. There are so many things you can do with this theme, it's colourful, it can be centered around one type of Lego, it appeals to boys and girls and is suitable for any age of child that has a passion for those bricks!

Delia Creates was the first blog I looked through. She had so many great ideas, and when I emailed her for some advice she was so friendly and helpful! Her orignal Lego party post can be found here.

The ideas I took from her blog included :-

These printable Lego 'bricks'. I purchased a large pack of coloured A4 card and using the template, printed it out onto the sheets. I then cut them into different shapes to represent bricks. I used these to decorate the windows here, the table, the food table area, the front door, basically anywhere where they could look festive! I also found these free printable Lego men online, changed the number on the front to the birthday boys age and filled them in yellow to look like minifigures. You can download them here.

I also copied her plate idea. I purchased square yellow plates from Ikea (I am not sure if they are available anymore but I found some similar ones here), added a small square cardboard top to each plate and then used a black sharpie to draw a variety of faces on each.

For table decorations I used colourful balloons and old duplo bricks hung from the patio umbrella, colourful streamers and a yellow table cloth.

 See more of those Lego bricks on the back of the chairs!


And on the handle of the umbrella! I had to hand the plastic coloured cups and made up some squash with some blue colouring to make it a little more fun!

Under the cake I used some bubble wrap which I painted in green to look like a Lego mat. I didn't use spray paint like Delia but hand painted it instead.

Another blog I used was Homemaking Fun, and the original post can be found here.

I copied their idea for the banners. You can find free Lego fonts on the net very easily. For these I printed out the individual letters, coloured a yellow border around them and then cut them out. They were then glued to red card pieces. All this does take some time once you have printed it all out but the results make it so worth while.

The next blog I used for inspiration was Ewehooo! The original post can be found here.

I used their idea for the Lego heads on the table (plus they ended up being great storage for small cars!). I also used her idea for the 'Guess how many Legos are in the jar' game.


You can purchase the candy Legos here and here. I printed out each party guests name using the Lego font so that they could write down their guess.

The next blog that had great ideas was Moore Minutes. Her original post can be found here.

I liked her idea for the front door and completely copied it!



This was a large box painted with paper dots glued on front. It's got string tied round it to stop it blowing away!

I also liked her Tower game. I bought a bunch of used old Lego from Ebay, lots of simple bricks, and used these to let the kids go wild with the Tower game! It was a big hit, probably because it was so simple and fun!

We also had a relay race with Lego. We split the children into 2 teams, gave each team a bucket and a spade and placed a bunch of Lego at the other end from where the children were standing. They each had to take it in turns to run and pick up some Lego using the spade, then run back and place it in their bucket. They were given a time limit and the team with the most Lego in their bucket won. They were the only organised games as the children were happy to either play with the Lego or play on my son's play set.

Last but by no means least is Living Locurto, her original post can be found here.


I used her Pinata idea for my own. I bought a standard round Pinata, covered the middle with a round yellow circle, used the font to make a sign to personalise it and drew on a face!

I also loved her cake pops! This was the first time I made cake pops so mine are a little, shall we say bedraggled? I suggest you follow her instructions!

These Lego men have had a hard day!

A little word on the food I served. I wanted some treats but also some healthy bits. I found the green trays in Sainsburys along with the plastic jelly pots. I wanted bright fruit in the same colours as the rest of the party, so that meant, strawberries, grapes, pineapple and blueberries. I used 2 fruit flavoured yogurts as dips. For the treats I bought M&M's and separated them into the 4 colours of the party, blue, yellow, green and red. I also found this picture on Pinterest of rainbow coloured Oreos. I dipped some in red and blue candy melts and used an edible food writer to write the word Lego on each. 

For the main food we had flat bread pizzas, some with pepperoni placed on top to look like Lego bricks and some plain for those that didn't like the spicy topping. There was very little left!

I set this up inside mainly because it was so warm I think things may have started to melt!

Finally we come to the cake. Again this took a long time but was so worth it for the look on my son's face!

This cake inspired me.

Lego cake

This cake can be found on my Lego ideas Pinterest board here.

I purchased a rectangle cookie cutter to make the bricks. I used a wide round tip to make the dots and cookie cutters to make the letters.

My cake domed so doesn't have as sharp of a finish as the original but it still did the job!

I decided to take the colour inside the cake as well as outside and used this post for inspiration. Here's what the cake looked like from the inside!

The kids loved it, I am not so sure that the same could be said for the parents! In all seriousness it was fine, each child took home a small piece, leaving us with the rest.

There you have it, a very involved party in terms of set up and decoration but it was worth it.














No comments:

Post a Comment