Tuesday 14 April 2015

Easy Guacamole Style Sandwich filling

Finally, the Spring weather is here! The sun is shining, there is hardly a cloud in the sky and the temperatures are warm and toasty!

I have extra reasons to feel happy this week as I was offered a great job starting next month. It is such a great fit for my family and means that I will still have plenty of time to get my craft on! I now need to go shopping for some nice work clothes. I have plenty of pretty skirts and smart sweaters but I am lacking in shirts and smart trousers. Any excuse to go clothes shopping though!

Plus today Ben and Jerry's are giving away free ice cream cones today! Thankfully one local cinema is participating, so me and the kids are heading there shortly!

Getting back to the recipe! I find certain recipes suit me at certain points during the year. For example, I rarely eat soup come Spring or Summer as I just find it too warming! Other recipes I enjoy throughout the year, like Chilli. This sandwich filling was inspired from a chicken fajita recipe I found which also made a guacamole sauce. It seems like quite a summery filling to have, the rich green of the avocado mixed with spicy crushed chilies, but I am happy to say I enjoy this all year round! It is quick and easy to prepare, it's healthy and can be mixed with other things to make yummy sandwiches or left alone as a chunky guacamole.




Guacamole Style Sandwich Filling

INGREDIENTS

To Serve 1 or 2 people

1 ripe avocado
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 tsp of crushed chilli flakes or more to taste
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1 garlic clove


All you will need!

Oh and one of these comes in handy!


Saves using a fork to mash with!


METHOD

1. Remove avocado flesh from skin and place in a bowl. I use an avocado cutter which neatly slices the flesh into sections. This makes it easier to mash. If you don't have one of those you can simply cut it into slices or cubes before adding to the bowl.


2. Add 1 peeled clove of garlic (this can be added whole), the juice from the lemon, crushed chillies, salt and pepper to the bowl.




3. Roughly mash the ingredients together. You want a little bit of chunkiness left rather than a completely smooth paste. 


Add a few extra crush chillies on top and you are done!


One of the ways I like to have this is with red pepper hummus and feta cheese.

Take 2 pieces of bread and spread some hummus on both. Top this with some of the guacamole. 


Crumble some feta cheese and add this to the top. Tasty sandwich!


I think this would be great with some roasted veggies, other cheeses, chicken or hard boiled egg. The lemon juice stops the mix from browning so this can last me 2 days if it's just me having the sandwich!




Enjoy the weather!










No comments:

Post a Comment