Tuesday 28 April 2015

Burger Stuffed Peppers

Whenever I visited my parents, my Mum would make some of my favourite dishes from my childhood to welcome me home. As a child I was incredibly fussy, I ate very little, and most dinners were a battle. There were some exceptions to that though, some meals I just fell in love with and couldn't get enough! One of those dinners was stuffed peppers which my Mum would serve with boiled potatoes and extra vegetables, not the mention the obligatory hot sauce!

Mum gave me the recipe when I moved home and even though I can't make it exactly the same way as she used American ingredients I can't get in the UK it is still a tasty dish that I and my family love. I hope you will enjoy it too!

BURGER STUFFED PEPPERS
(Serves 4 - 6)

Ingredients

4 medium-large green peppers (red and orange can be substituted)


1lb ground beef (This works just as well with less)
2 cups cooked rice 
1/4 cup chopped onions
Salt and pepper
1 400 to 500g bottle or box of passata (1 15oz can tomato sauce)
1 cup grated cheese

Method

Cook rice of your liking,

Halve peppers lengthways and de-seed. Pop into a pan of simmering water for only about 2 minutes and drain.


Yes I know these aren't cut in lengthways! But you get the idea!

Lightly mix beef, rice, onion, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of passata/tomato sauce. Pile this mixture into the pepper halves, top with cheese and arrange in a shallow baking dish.


Pour remaining passata/sauce over the top. Cover and bake at 350'F/180'C for about an hour.


You will have lovely soft peppers with a tasty filling along with a little sauce to spoon over the top.

I served these with salad and peas but it is especially tasty with boiled potatoes and corn!


As I didn't cut these ones lengthways, one pepper was enough on it's own. When the peppers are cut lengthways those with a bigger appetite can have more!

This is a great family dinner, kids and adults will enjoy it. The passata can be substituted for spaghetti sauce or your own home made sauce. The beef can be substituted for turkey mince or Quorn mince. 

Let me know if you make it!












No comments:

Post a Comment