Thursday 19 March 2015

Mocha Fondue Truffles - What to do with left over fondue!

If you have ever made fondue you may have found that you just can't eat it all. Strange concept? Perhaps! However, if you haven't managed to completely stuff your face, you may wonder what to do with the leftovers. If you followed a recipe like the Mocha fondue I shared last week it sets just like ganache due to the cream and chocolate combination. I had some left over from when we had fondue and thought it could make great little truffles!



They look tempting right? They melt in the mouth, are smooth with a really nice small chocolate hit. The mixture is quite rich so you would probably only eat one or two at a time! Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I decided that they needed to be rolled in something to combat the stickiness. This partially worked as you can probably tell from the photos!


I started with my bowl of set fondue, some icing sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate coffee beans for decoration. There are no quantities for this as it totally depends on how much fondue you have left. This bowlful made approximately 15.

I used a teaspoon to scoop a little of the mixture out of the bowl and rolled it in either icing sugar or cocoa powder.

I would say a generous teaspoon makes a good size truffle!

I used ramekins to hold some icing sugar and cocoa powder in for ease of rolling.

As you can see it's a messy job!

Very messy!  The icing sugar was not a great success however. The fondue mixture seemed to absorb the sugar into the truffle very quickly and they looked plain. I would suggest something heavier such as crushed nuts, sprinkles or even edible glitter if you wanted them to look fancy. The cocoa powder worked a treat though. Each truffle was topped off with a chocolate coffee bean. I kept them in the fridge so as to not melt. They lasted a week. They may last longer than that but we ate them all before we could find out!

You can see in the pictures how the icing sugar appears faded. That was very soon after rolling them in the sugar. Other fondue recipes may differ from this one.

It was a much better idea than wasting all that yummy fondue! You could even make them as gifts or for a nice after dinner treat!

Have a great weekend.









No comments:

Post a Comment