Thursday 5 March 2015

Kids Craft - Mother's Day Planter

So Mother's Day in the UK is always in March so you rarely see any pins on Pinterest until later in the year when the US celebrate. Never fear, for us UK Mums and Grandmothers I have the perfect little project for your little dears!

I've talked about Tiger stores before. I really like them, they are a treasure trove of bits and pieces, from spices to garden tools! Everything is very reasonably priced and yes there is the odd thing which looks cheap but as for the rest they are the perfect little items to either customise or pick up for any number of reasons. Check out their website for a slice of the things they sell http://www.tigerstores.co.uk/.

When I went in there looking for Spring pieces, my son and I spotted a little wooden planter. It was plain wood, perfect for decorating and it was just £3.00! They also sold little galvanised buckets and seeds, so we picked those up too! The total for these supplies was about £8.00.


Firstly we painted the planter off white. This was a little fiddly due to all the slats so I did this part.


This didn't take too long as the paint dried very quickly on the wooden planter.

I then gathered some supplies, paints, embellishments and ribbons and let my son pick what he wanted to use.



He then set to work painting his design onto the planter. He decided to paint grass and purple flowers. I just let him do whatever he wanted. If you have a younger child you may want to help or even glue ready made flowers to the planter.


Lots of concentrating as he gets to painting the grass!


He decided to add tufts of grass to look like it was growing up the sides of the planter. He then painted purple flowers with yellow centres.


Cute huh and all his own work!


He wanted to decorate the buckets so chose 2 purple ribbons and some buttons. I measured around the buckets and cut the ribbon to size.


I used a little hot glue to stick the ribbon in place with another drop of glue to secure the other end.


I then secured a button to the centre with more hot glue.


2 of the buckets were used to hold the seed packets.


We made a little heart and flower topper and placed it in the middle bucket with a little bit of oasis to secure it in place.

All that was left to do was a little bit of varnish to protect the beautiful artwork! This took so little time to do, about 2 hours for all the painting. He really enjoyed making this and it's such a personal little gift for his Grandmother!

Do your kids like to make gifts? Share on my Facebook page!

Linked on http://www.iheartnaptime.net/.








No comments:

Post a Comment