Wednesday 18 February 2015

Vanity Mirror makeover


Sorry for the radio silence but it's half term week here which means we have been busy busy! I am having a breather today however, and wanted to show you some of the things I have been making for my master bedroom.

Initially I was going to paint the bedroom, buy rugs, make over some items and clean the existing furniture. Some of that idea has now been scrapped, mainly the part about keeping the existing furniture! Having lived with it for 7 years we have decided it is time for a change and plans are afoot to change, alter the layout and bring the bedroom bang up to date! I am still keeping some of my initial ideas about colours and altering exisiting decor to fit the new bedroom.

I want a tranquil, peaceful room, with neutral walls and furniture with hints of pale teal/turquoise, pink and cream in the decor. This way we can switch these elements out while keeping the base neutral.

One item that looked very out of place even with the current furniture was my vanity mirror. It was a dark wood stained piece which I have had for years. I like the shape and the fact it is free standing so can be placed anywhere but just couldn't stand the stain.


See it's pretty ugly that even the camera didn't want to focus on it!

The mirror is held into the frame like a photo frame, so was easy to remove. I set to work on cleaning and sanding the frame ready for painting.



Yes I did take these photos in front of the TV and yes I was catching up with Scandal!

After sanding the frame, I wiped it down fully and began painting with an acrylic paint that I have been using for all my made over decor objects.


First coat and still the frame is too ugly for the camera to focus!!


The frame took about 3 coats for good coverage. I didn't want to slap the paint on in heavy coats, rather build up the colour.


I really don't know what happened here as it's now pretty!

I finished off the mirror by adding a clear varnish. This gave it a nice gloss finish and will help to protect the paint. I did think about distressing the edges but decided to leave it alone. I think it is pretty this way.


Here it is sitting proudly on my dresser with some other items I have made over.


This glass cube was easy to update by hot gluing ribbon and resin flowers to the front and adding beans to the inside which I had spray painted a co-ordinating colour.

I also made over a small jewellrey box which I will share on a later post.



Have a great day!










No comments:

Post a Comment