Monday 23 February 2015

Something Old, Something New, Bedroom Decor


I have such a thing for the colour teal, my house is covered in it! It creates a bright space when the sun shines on it and warms up the place in the dead of Winter.

I have always been drawn to bright colours, neutral has never been my thing. Our first house was a rainbow of colours from yellow, orange, purple and of course teal. That was just the walls!

I have reigned myself in since moving to our current home and restrict the colours to the bits and pieces I buy rather than covering the walls in a full palette of colour. That doesn't mean that the house is lacking in colour, far from it!

While I have a bold and deep shade of teal for our living space, I prefer a more muted and light shade for the bedroom. I have taken inspiration from my bedding and the various cushions I have collected over the years to determine the shade and tone. 


I have two beautiful bedding sets from Matthew Williamson's Butterfly range from Debenhams. One set features peacocks and muted hints of blue and teal, while the one above is bolder with accents of pink nestled in the cool blues and teals.


This butterfly cushion was a gift from my Mother many years ago and now sits proudly on the bed. It adds just the right pop of pink to break up the teal.

Another reason for tying everything together is that with all the things I have been given and collected, I just have too many mis matched pieces. While I am not the sort of person to want everything co-ordinated there was just something messy looking about the master bedroom.

My husband suffers quite a bit with sinus problems due to having asthma, colds just go straight to his sinuses and he is forever looking for tissues of any kind!

Naturally I decided that we needed a tissue holder. Couldn't just go and buy a nice box of tissues, I have to custom make one!

You can get all sorts of mache items these days and they are great basics for adding a personal touch to.


This is a basic tissue holder just begging to be turned into something pretty!

I used 2 coats of the DecoArt Spa Blue paint to cover the box completely. 


As you would have seen on Pinterest, there are various tutorials for letter transfers onto wood, canvas, etc. I found this one by Come Together Kids which is quick and easy.

Firstly print off the lettering you want, I did mine backwards.


Next scribble all over the letters with a pencil.


Place this onto the item you wish to have the lettering and trace the letters on the other side of the paper.



When you take the paper away you will have an outline of the letters you just traced.


Now you are free to paint!


I chose a pink to match the pillow and bedding set. When I had added the paint, I went over it a second time.


A much better result than if I had drawn this freehand!

It now has pride of place on my husband's side of the bed. Much to his dismay I have added a little paper flower to the top! He feels he needs to watch the Die Hard movies to regain some masculinity! 

 

I have no idea what he means!

I had this jewellery box given to me years ago. It's something old but has proved a very useful piece.


I have always liked the painted cats on the front but it just doesn't fit with anything now. I gave it a light sand all over and painted it in DecoArt Spa Blue which has become my go to shade for the bedroom. It took 2 coats to cover it completely.


I saw this Decopatch paper and loved how much it blended with my bedding and the paint. I applied this with Mod Podge to the sides of the jewellery box and covered it with a coat of Mod Podge to seal and to give it a glossy finish. Once this was completely dry I lightly sanded the sides and edges to give it a worn and vintage feel.


Finally I used the same technique as for the tissue box and painted 'Lovely Things' onto the front.

Although it was lovely to start with I am loving it's transformation!

Have you used this transfer technique? Share your creations on my Facebook page!





No comments:

Post a Comment