Thursday 26 February 2015

Rustic Jute covered Vase for Spring


Urgh the weather is just miserable! It's almost March, we can hope for some actual Spring weather now right? All my attention lately is on Spring colours, light clothes, Easter, Mother's Day and getting out in the garden. Anything to take my mind off the damp, overcast days.

All the things I have been making have a definite Spring flavour about them. If the weather can't cheer up at least my home can!

Over the years I have accumulated a lot of vases, either gifts or items I have bought. Some of them are, well, a little boring. Sometimes a plain vase is a good thing when you have a huge bouquet of beautiful blooms to display. Other times it seems like an opportunity to make something truly unique. This is what I felt when I looked at this old vase of mine.


It's a fairly unusual shape, being so wide at the top but I rarely used it. I prefered the coloured vases I own or the more delicate one bud style vases.

I've seen all these jute covered wine bottles and jars over on Pinterest. I just love the way they look and thought it would be a nice change for this vase!

Armed with my glue gun I started at the base of the vase and wound the jute string around the bottom securing with hot glue every so often.


I didn't need to use glue all over, just in a few places to hold the string in place.


I found that as I reached the narrower part of the vase, the less glue was needed. A little was needed to secure the string to the top of the vase.


Some other bloggers have left the vases as is, and they do look lovely with flowers placed in them but I am not a minimalist type girl!

I decided to paint the string at the base in a cream colour to create a colour block effect. I had also seen this on a few jars over on Pinterest. I used some tape to section off the bottom which enabled me to have a defined line.



But I was still not done! I had some of the wooden hearts left over from other projects and hot glued a medium sized one to the front. I finished it off with some cream lace ribbon at the top, also secured with a little hot glue. I at least kept things neutral!


I was given some lovely flowers by another Mum for looking out for her son. It was a lovely surprise and very unexpected and perfect timing for christening my newly updated vase!

It goes so well with my house lamp.

Even the cat agrees!

Would you update a vase this way?

Hop over to Facebook and share!










No comments:

Post a Comment