Thursday 8 January 2015

Decorating the home for Valentines!



No you haven't been asleep and it's now February, I'm just thinking ahead to Valentines Day!
We like to do little token gifts, something homemade or a little something one of us has been after. I make some yummy treats or we get a meal delivered from one of our favourite restaurants. This year we are having an early Valentines by going away for the night in a gorgeous little hotel! I can't wait!

I also think it's fun to do a little decorating to celebrate the day and have some ideas for you from my Valentines past as well as my favourite pins for inspiration!

Holiday Banner

Inspireduk







Materials
Scraps of red fleece or felt
Scraps of white fleece or felt
Fabric glue
Heart template like a cookie cutter
Toy stuffing
Hole punch
String or yarn

I had some red fleece left over from another project and decided to make a holiday banner. I also had a little white fleece and carefully drew up letters on paper and traced these onto the white fleece freehand. Of course you could use Word to print out some fancier letters! I used a heart shaped cookie cutter to draw the hearts in the red fleece. I did 2 for each letter so that I could stuff them.


Once I had cut the letters out I stuck them to the hearts with some fabric glue (I am terrible at sewing!). I then used some more fabric glue to put together 2 pieces of heart felt, leaving an opening big enough to stuff them with toy stuffing. I then finished gluing them up and left them to dry.
Next, I used a regular hole punch to punch 2 holes at the top of each heart. I then threaded through some thick cotton (you could use yarn) and hung it up! Quick and easy! I bought some glittered card hearts from a card shop and used these to decorate around the banner.

Heart branches

Inspireduk

Materials
Various scrapbook papers or plain paper
Heart template like a cookie cutter
Reeds (I used willow here)
Large vase
Pink/red coloured stones
Any other embellishments

I placed some red and pink crystals in the bottom of a vase and then took a selection of willow reeds and placed them on top. I cut out various hearts from pink and red scrapbook paper and stuck these to the reeds with a little blu tack, I had some wired plastic hearts and wound some of these around the reeds with the rest placed in the bottom of the vase. Simple and festive. Retro record player optional!

Love sign

InspiredUK

Materials
Wooden letters
Decopatch paper
Mod podge
Ribbon
Tiny embellishment like a mini wooden heart
Strong glue

I found a pretty red and white paper I liked and tore it into small scraps. I then mod podged these onto the wooden letters. I also did a coat of mod podge over the top once it was all dry to seal it and give it a glossy finish. I glued a simple mini heart to one letter. The trickiest part was gluing the 4 letters together. I used some cord glued to the back of each letter to hold them in place but I don't think it was the best method! I took a small piece of red ribbon and glued this to the back to form a hanger. This would also make a great gift!

Here are some more decor ideas to get you in the romantic mood!

Another cute banner from The Happier Homemaker

If you want super easy, how about these free printables from The DIY Village?

 Or if you are feeling extra crafty, this Love sign is adorable! Link to original post on Four Generations One Roof


A great wreath made using old puzzle pieces. Great for the kids to do! From Mommo Design


Over at Cottage at the Crossroads, Jane shows off her lovely mantel. I especially like these hanging hearts! Valentines Day Mantel


Lots of decor ideas here on At home in the Northwest


A wreath for the door? This one is so sweet! Check it out at Life Illustrated


I Heart Naptime has a great roundup of crafts and food like this adorable Love Heart banner.


More Love Heart fun on It's all in my Head

There is even more to inspire on my Valentine board, check it out!

Have a romantic evening :)



No comments:

Post a Comment