Tuesday 11 November 2014

QUICK AND EASY DIY GIFTS - PART TWO

Now that we've made something for the kids, how about the grown ups?

I have taken much inspiration from Pinterest over the years to make lovely gifts for friends and family. Sometimes it hasn't always gone to plan or lasted as long as I would have liked but always it comes from the heart. I just love planning out someone's gifts and including some home made treats. In this post I will share some gifts I have made in the past along with the blogs/tutorials I have followed to create pretty things!


Something that needs little guidance on is Decopatch. There are so many pretty papers to choose from and hundreds of items that can be personalised with them! I have used them so much to redecorate items in my home as well as adding a personal touch to a gift. You can use regular PVC glue (I prefer to use Mod Podge but that can be expensive) which acts as a glue to attach the paper to the items you have as well as being a finisher to protect the item.

You can purchase all manner of words, frames, jewellery holders etc as well as mache shapes which can be easily transformed with Decopatch papers. 

I took this plain white 'Bathe' sign and decopatched it in paper which would complement the bathroom of the recipient.


I have also done the same thing with a 'Home' photo frame. You can purchase mache letters and paint or decopatch those, perhaps spelling out a name, a particular word like 'Home' or 'Eat' for the recipient to hang in their home.

You can embellish any simple item and make it personal to the recipient very cheaply and quickly.

Here I have purchased a plain cushion and a pack of craft buttons. I have then glued the buttons onto the cushion (you can sew them on of course) using a heart shaped template that I made in Word. I used fabric glue but needed something stronger for the bottom buttons so used hot glue. You can also make felt flowers and glue or sew these onto a plain cushion. There are lots of tutorials for felt flowers but these are my favourites Ruched felt flowerFelt rosesSimple felt flowers, and Felt flowers for a cushion.


The last link I have used to embellish cushions. The only thing I would say is the backing needs to be glued very well to the flowers, else they will fall off!


Another very easy idea is to make a body scrub. These take only a few ingredients and it is very easy to pretty up a jar.


Here I made a label for the top of the jar, a tag with directions for use and a coordinating ribbon. I also purchased a small wooden spoon.

My favourite scrub recipes are:-

Coffee body scrub
Simple scrub recipes
Lemon sugar scrub
Candy cane sugar scrub

Hampers are a nice way to gather home made and bought items together to create a really unique and personal gift for someone. It can be completely themed, for example, tools, seeds, journal and hand cream for a keen gardener, or it can be made of little treats that you know the recipient will love.

Here is a little breakdown of a 'treat' hamper I made a few years ago.

These are very easy truffles to make and I made them look like baubles with edible glitter. I purchased candy cups and boxes and lined them with paper, sealed with a Christmas sticker.


This is the recipe for the Gingerbread truffles Wilton truffle recipe, but it can be altered for any flavour you like. You can also use chocolate rather than candy melts.


Next came some Apple and pear chutney. I made this in my slow cooker which after peeling the apples and pears made the whole process a lot easier! I sadly no longer have the recipe but found this delicious sounding one! Spiced apple chutney.


I also think it is nice to receive some home made liquor! These are different flavoured vodkas!


Some of my favourite recipes are
Starburst vodka (can also do this with Skittles!)


I purchased some cute baskets, a little purse and earrings and added those to the home made items.


All wrapped up in cellophane and tied up with ribbon! All done!

For more DIY inspiration come back for part three when I show you some gifts the kids can make.

Happy making!

No comments:

Post a Comment