Monday 10 November 2014

QUICK AND EASY DIY GIFTS - PART ONE

Hello there! Well it's been a busy couple of weeks, making gifts, making cakes and general family life! I so want to share what I have been making but I hate to spoil surprises for the recipients so you will just have to wait for now! Instead I am going to share gifts I have made for Christmas pasts. Please excuse the quality of the photographs!

Firstly, little gifts for kids! I like to make some inexpensive gifts for the kids we give presents to. It's always nice to give them something personalised just for them!

A very simple idea is to personalise a canvas bag that they can carry around craft items, books, anything that they might need to keep them amused on journeys or waiting in a doctors office!

You will need plain canvas bags and fabric paints. I used the tubes which you can squeeze an amount out of but you could get really creative and paint a design on the front. I chose simple pictures to decorate the front of the bags along with the name of the child.

















I also filled them with some free printable colouring pages, a small book and a little craft item. Very inexpensive and very quick to make! 

If you can do some basic sewing (I can't really but I give it a go!) you can make little felt items. For girls I have crafted little felt purses, decorated with felt cupcakes, ribbon and button trim. For boys I have made tooth monster pillows inspired by this pin here.

For the tooth monster pillows I followed the tutorial given but I used felt and fabric paints to personalise the back of the pillows.



All that was needed here was 2 piece of felt, 2 buttons, needle and thread and fabric paint.


Simple even for someone like me with no sewing skills!

For the purses I used 3 sheets of felt, bought a set of crafting buttons, a small amount of ribbon, any other embellishments that I had on hand, fabric glue, needle and thread and poppers.

I found a template for a cupcake and used that to create the felt shapes. I also created a template to cut out the purse shapes. I measured a small amount of ribbon and fabric glued this to the front of the purse along with the cupcake shapes. I embellished with buttons, sewed the purse and added a popper inside. These were not as easy as the pillow but still a good craft for the sewing challenged!


Hope that has given you a little inspiration for quick gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment