Wednesday 17 September 2014

PRETTY PUSH PINS AND PIN BOARD



Since the middle of this year I have a dedicated craft space. I included a little reading nook, shelves and photos to make it more homely and I absolutely love it! It can get messy, well when being creative who doesn't?, and this summer it got very messy with birthday party prep!  I have finally tidied it up and have decided I need a pin board to keep a list of all my many projects. Right now I am working on my bedroom makeover, Halloween and thinking about Christmas! Not to mention some other little details I want to add to the craft space.

Firstly I took a regular wooden frame (mine was painted white so I sanded it down). I chose a paint colour that would complement my room and purchased some silicone glue. It wasn't the best decision as when it dries it goes quite rubbery, so didn't give me the exact finish I was after. In future I would choose a different dimensional glue or something like this dimensional paint. Once my frame was sanded I took the glue and drew a pattern onto the frame. This was to give it a raised effect and look carved. Once this was dry I painted over it. This took a good couple of coats and I also varnished over the top to give it a nice glossy look.



I discarded the glass and cut a piece of cork to the size of the frame. This was a little tricky to get in the frame but once it was in there I knew it wouldn't be going anywhere! The only downside is that the cork isn't very thick so may need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

I didn't want just regular pins so decided to pretty some up. This is so quick and easy but looks cute. I started by looking at some embellishments I had on hand. I decided to stick to a teal blue colour, brown and tan to complement the rest of my decor.

 Lots to choose from!
 Nice shades of teal blue
Pretty buttons

I selected 12 as I thought this would be plenty for the board. You could use more or less depending on the size of your own pin board.

 Regular brass pins
Buttons and sequins selected

I have a mini glue gun that is perfect for such crafts. I took a pin and squeezed a blob of glue on the head. Then I took a button and placed it on. Done!

 Glue
 Blob
Done!

I selected some sequins to glue as well. I did the same thing by blobbing glue onto the head of the pin. I then placed the sequins on in a circle before adding a bit more glue and a couple of sequins on top. This gave the impression of a little flower.

Blob of glue
Stuck on into flower shape

This was so quick and easy and turned something ordinary into something cute.


The paint I used for the board was Americana Desert Turquoise. You can purchase this herehere or any other craft shop.
The buttons are Hobbycraft's own and can be purchased from their shops.
Cork can be purchased on a roll. I purchased mine here.

No comments:

Post a Comment