Saturday 13 September 2014

BAKING TRAY MAKEOVER - PART 2



Following on from my post on baking tray makeovers, I have finally finished my lap tray project. I am so pleased with how it has turned out!
Firstly I sanded the tray in the same way as I did for my Menu board (see here)


This tray was smoother than the first so this stage was much easier and less messy!
I already had spray paint and sealer on hand for previous projects. I bought a small can of spray paint suitable for all types of crafts. The blue matches a lot of my decor at home. The sealer will hopefully stop the paint coming off when it is washed!


I got a large box and set the tray in it ready for painting. I also took it outside (you
could do this stage in a garage but it's too stinky for indoors!) I sprayed 2-3 coats on the front, letting it dry between coats. When it was completely day I set it over and gave the underside a coat of paint to hide all the baking tray. This stage took a couple of days as whilst the paint is touch dry within a few hours, it still felt a little sticky.


First coat


Finished!


Underside getting a coat of paint

Once the tray was completely dry I set about adding the decorative touches. I had seen this pin and really liked the idea of a monogram, however, I am all about the pretty so decided to put my painting skills to the test.
I found a picture of a cupcake that I had pinned a while ago which I was thinking of printing and framing for the kitchen. This seemed to be the ideal picture to use as inspiration so I set to work on lightly sketching a cupcake in the middle of the tray.



I gathered all the acrylic paints I had on hand and started with the base of the cake. I used one colour for the case and just lightened the paint with white as I went on. I used fine brushes to get good detail on the painting. I then worked my way up to the sponge, then frosting and finally the lemon. The sprinkles on the frosting were the last detail I painted. I also started to paint a white line around the edge of the tray. I did this free hand so it's not as neat as if I had used masking tape.


Close up of the cupcake.


Not bad huh? This was very relaxing to do and I enjoyed every minute of it!
I had to go over the white outside line at least 3 times to get a good colour.

Finally came the sealer. I sprayed 2 coats over the entire front of the tray leaving a good few hours in between coats. I again took this outside in the box, this really stank!


And here it is all finished and looking pretty. I cannot believe this was the same baking tray!


I now have a wonderful new tray to use which is not going to end up in land fill!


You can get acrylic paints from any craft store. The makes and colours I used were
Folk Art Light Periwinkle - can purchase here
DecoArt crafter's acrylic Light Antique White - can purchase here
I used the Hobbycraft Value Crafts range of acrylic paints - can purchase here
For the spray paint I used PlastiKote Fast dry Project Enamel in Sky Blue - can purchase in Hobbycraft stores, B&Q etc or here online
I also used PlastiKote clear sealer in Gloss - can purchase in Hobbycraft stores, or here online

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment